Recipe adapted from Teresa Cutter – Healthy Chef
INGREDIENTS (MAKES 10 GINGERBREAD PEOPLE)
280 g (2 ¾ cups) almond meal
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 tsp teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon gluten free baking powder
4 (60 g) fresh soft pitted dates (Medjool)
50 ml extra virgin olive oil
40 g raw honey, maple syrup, molasses or brown rice syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla bean extract
1 egg white
1. Combine almond meal, baking powder, dates and spices in a food processor.
2. Process until combined and mix is crumbly.
3. Add olive oil, honey (+molasses if using), vanilla + egg white.
4. Process again until a soft dough forms.
5. Remove the dough and flatten down slightly between 2 pieces of grease-proof paper (baking paper) – about 3 mm thick.
6. Refrigerate for 1 hour to allow the dough to firm up. If in a hurry, place in the freezer for 20 minutes.
7. Cut out into shapes with a gingerbread cutter and place cookies onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.
8. Bake at 150 C for 30 minutes or until golden.
9. Remove from the oven and cool. Decorate as you like…
They go perfectly with a spicy masala chai!