- 2 cups dates coarsely chopped
- 1 handful coconut
- Extra coconut for toasting & coating
- 1 tsp fennel ground
- ½ tsp cardamon ground
- ¼ tsp fresh vanilla, or 4 drops vanilla essence
- In small saucepan place dates and coat with water.
- Add fennel, cardamom & vanilla. Cook until dates are mushy and water has been absorbed.
- Add coconut and stir through. With fork mash the date mixture.
- Roll into small balls
- Toast coconut in a pan until brown
- Coat balls in toasted coconut.
- Makes approx. 20 date balls. You can keep the date balls refrigerated.
Note: This recipe is a great base can be elaborated on. Try nut meals (almond, cashew, pistachio or hazelnut) instead of coconut in the mix with the dates. Try coating the balls in raw cocoa or chopped nuts. Freestyle and experiment with different spices and textures!